We all spend so much time “doing” that we often forget to spend some time just “being. I spent some time this week making this list of “10 Easy Ways to Fit Self Care Into Your Day”. I’m challenging myself to use these ideas to make more time every day to “be”, in between the times that I “do”.
- Just Breathe! Take a few minutes (even 2-5 minutes!) to close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. It’s awesome how this simple act can be so refreshing.
- Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier (and get up!) It’s amazing how many things you can accomplish with 15 extra minutes! It can help you feel less rushed, and you can do some of the things on this list before the rest of the household gets up, setting a great tone for the day.
- Move! Every half hour or so, stand up and walk around. Or put on a groovin’ tune and dance ! It’s amazing how freeing and fun this is and you feel so much better when you head back to work.
- Make a cup of tea (or coffee) and take time to enjoy at least the first few sips. When you intentionally consume food or beverages, you are actually giving your body attention and that’s a huge part of self care.
- Make lists! I love lists!!! My family totally teases me about my lists, but they are what help me to appear as though I am an organized human being!! LOL Making lists is a very intentional act and can help you to organize yourself so you have more time for self care. Some of my faves are: To-Do lists, Gratitude lists, Favourite Things Lists, and the “If I Made Time I Would…” list
- Listen to music and/or sing! Taking a few minutes to pay attention to the lyrics of a song can give your brain a much needed re-set and get you ready for a fresh start.
- Enjoy the sound of silence! Turn off the car radio when you drive, no TV turned on in the background and embrace the lack of sound and chaos around you. It can feel really odd at first, but it is actually one of my favourite ways to recharge and spend some time alone with my thoughts.
- Choose a positive affirmation, write it down and put it where you will see it. You can put it on sticky notes and post them in multiple places, draw a picture on a card and put your affirmation on the card too. Putting it on the lock screen of your phone is a great place to see it often as well. Change it every day or every week, and take time to consciously read it at least a couple of times each day. It’s like saying hello to yourself and sharing some great advice.
- Do something random and nice for someone else! When we pay attention to those around us, we are building connections with the universe as a whole and it just feels good! Even a simple smile, telling someone “thank-you”, holding the door for someone, baking a treat or writing a note for a friend or neighbor can make their day. Being kind to others is a great way to boost your own spirits.
- Plan a vacation! Even if you don’t get the chance to go right away. Maybe you won’t get the chance to go there, but if you could, where would you like to go? Do the research and see what you could do in your version of paradise. There’s no harm spending a little time dreaming.
Hope this list inspires you to spend a little “be-time” this week.