REPOST From May 6, 2019:
It’s a great question but a more accurate one would be “what doesn’t an Artsy Nerd do?” The simple answer is a tonne of stuff! LOL I have been really fortunate over the years to get to learn and experience many different things through work and travel. I’ve been able to keep learning and training and trying new things, both nerdy and artsy.
I have recently reached a point in my life where I’ve decided to take a bit of a leap of faith and leave my steady, secure, benefit paying job in order to start my own business. I’m breaking out the collection of skills and training that I haven’t been putting to full use for a while. I’ve decided that I want more relaxation than rushing to meet deadlines. I crave simplicity more than “stuff” and I am excited about this new journey!!! .
If you’ve read the “About Us” page on my website, you’ll have seen the reference to the fact that I have a back injury and that stress has been a visitor to my house on a regular basis, so to speak. So rude! 😉
In late 2015, I ruptured a disc in my back and had excruciating sciatic pain to the point that I was put off work for a few months. I had never “not worked”. Ever!!! Long story short my ego and my pride took a beating during that time. I had to ask for so much help and I hated that!! I had to adapt to do so many things differently and then I kind of gave up because I was so afraid that I would hurt myself again. I had a whole lot of things that ended up on the “I Can’t” list and another assortment of things that I “used to do” but no longer considered an option.
So, I poured myself into the thing that I could do – my job. I worked long hours and worried about everyone and made sure they had help at the expense of my own tasks. Stress was my middle name and I kept pushing myself, even though I knew better. In 2017, I ended up with a Panic Disorder diagnosis (which is better now, thank you) but that diagnosis was the cause of a shift in me that was very subtle in the beginning (the kind of subtle that you only see in hindsight, years later).
I started asking myself a lot of questions like “what do you like to do?” and more importantly “why aren’t you doing those things?” My list of things that I enjoy doing is HUGE and I realized that I really missed doing them.
Last year, I started hiking again and my hubby and I did a nearly 30 KM overnight hike at Kenomee Canyon. I bawled like a baby at the end of the hike because I had actually done it and it meant so much after feeling stuck for so long. It was so beautiful to feel possibility!!!
So, this Artsy Nerd has set out to do the following weird collection of business offerings:
- -Make Nerdy Bits Energy Bites without using refined sugar and sourcing protein from foods like nuts and seeds. I’m also passionate about steering clear of plastic packaging so paper bags are what you will find your Nerdy Bit in.
- -Teach yoga and meditation. These have been so helpful with my personal journey and I love sharing them!
- -Offer assorted Relaxation Massage-I offer Energy-ssage, Indian Head Massage, Ayurvedic Foot Massage, Relaxation Massage and Chakra Clearing. I am not a RMT so unfortunately, insurance won’t cover my services. I want to be accessible to folks who may not have insurance so I offer affordable ways to treat yourself.
- -Relaxation Coaching Program- It’s a 10 week program where we hang out once a week and figure out ways to help you de-stress. It’s a mix of wellness, awareness and life coaching.
- -I’m a certified Seamstress so I am offering minor hemming and alterations as well as doing window treatments.
- -Special events and workshops- Painting, aromatherapy, scrapbooking, card making, a quarterly book club, networking group for solo business people and so much more!
So, my name is Tanya. I am a total nerd and an artist. I love variety and colour, music and nature. I am in search of contentment and simplicity. I love to help others but I’ve recently embraced the beauty of self care and the words “no, thank-you.”. I can’t speak for anyone else, but THAT is what this Artsy Nerd does. I can’t wait to see where this journey takes me!!!